Postby shaider » April 12th, 2010, 11:15 pm

filipinos are mostly christians :-)
shaider
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Highscores: 21

Re: Any Buddhists here?

Postby MrMoussaka » April 13th, 2010, 9:09 pm

shaider wrote:filipinos are mostly christians :-)

Yes, you're quite right. However, a woman from Bicol whom I knew a long time ago surprised me when she told me of the presence of Filipino Buddhists and Jews in the Philippines itself. I knew of the Muslims in Mindanao, but not this particular info she spoke of

I was born, raised, and educated in the Christian way of sorts(mixture of Protestant and Roman Catholic beliefs) but it was never going to work because it was forced on me. I turned to all sorts of paths(including an attempted voluntary return to Christianity via the Anglican/Episcopalian Church), but Buddhism was the only one I've tried that worked. As a Buddhist, I'm not forced to do anything. A lot of advise comes my way, but I make all decisions for myself. That's one of the ways we get taught by the Buddhist monks and nuns, and the lay people assisting them

However, to be fair, I do think that the bible itself does have some good lessons to learn, and keep for life...irrrespective of who wrote the books..
MrMoussaka

Postby shaider » April 15th, 2010, 3:52 pm

my whole family is a catholic, except me who's a protestant since when i was just a child, now i'm going 30 and i have no plans in changing religions.

when we eat together (my family) i'm the only one who doesn't have to do the sign of the cross. though sometimes i feel guilty not doing it hehe.

when people do ask me what my religion is, i just answer them "my religion is very simple. my religion is kindness." a quote from the dalai lama who's not a protestant but a buddhist lol :lol:
shaider
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Highscores: 21

Postby MrMoussaka » April 16th, 2010, 5:31 pm

shaider wrote:my whole family is a catholic, except me who's a protestant since when i was just a child, now i'm going 30 and i have no plans in changing religions.

when we eat together (my family) i'm the only one who doesn't have to do the sign of the cross. though sometimes i feel guilty not doing it hehe.

when people do ask me what my religion is, i just answer them "my religion is very simple. my religion is kindness." a quote from the dalai lama who's not a protestant but a buddhist lol :lol:

I noticed that Protestants seem much more bible-led than their Roman Catholic counterparts. I don't know much about the Christian issues or topics in the Philippines of late, but more Roman Catholics seem to be reading their bible translations these days. From the Protestant camp, there are even the more dedicated ones who are following the American example of reading the whole bible, starting from Genesis and all the way to Revelations....with some individuals even including the rather interesting Deuterocanonical books/Apocrypha(lodged between the Old and New Testaments, as normally set up in Roman Catholic bible translations) in their readings

I tried reading the bible, but I got as far as the death of Solomon. The content was just too heavy for my capabilities. As a Buddhist, I still somewhat consider the bible as important study, because it is the one book that had greatly influenced the world we live in today

There was a time when I heard the Filipino translation of Luke 23:34, and I thought it was quite moving when I first heard it as a child...but I can no longer remember such translation
MrMoussaka

Return to Religion & Spirituality